Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Larkspur Socks and slippers

It's about time this post takes place.





After spending the first week working on UFOs and swatching, I was able to get started on something for the KAL -- a pair of socks made of Knit Picks Palette in Garnet Heather.





My camera doesn't have a flash so the color isn't true. It's actually a beautiful deep heathered red. You can see the needles at the far left holding the cuff and one repeat of the lace. Palette is a fingering weight, two-ply 100% Peruvian Highland wool, packaged in skeins of 231 yards per 50 grams. The first sock has taken less than 1 skein and I'm still using that skein on the second sock. The sock pattern is being developed as I knit (in other words, it's my design). The lace pattern is taken from Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. It is "Larkspurs", an 8 row repeat, and I have reworked it from flat to round knitting.

A project that got started after a 5-day visit to my Mom during the second week of October was slippers. Hers had such huge holes in them! They were made of Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight in Turqua and Bonbon Print. The print color is packaged 244 yds to the 5 oz skein. Lovely bright colors. The pattern uses two strands worsted weight at the same time, size 10 US needles. Since Mom spends about 1/2 her time at her own home and 1/2 the time at my brother's house I made two pairs for her...one pair for each location. A bonus small pair was made using the print and a medium purple. Only 1 1/2 yards of the print was left.
So, the total used for the three pairs of slippers was 485 yards.


That's all for now -- I need to get back to the kitchen to deal with some freshly baked Banana Bread.
I'll try to get caught up with my postings by the end of the week.

No comments: