Thursday, June 24, 2010

Birthday socks started

I'm knitting as fast as I can to have these finished for Fred's birthday July 3rd. I've always made him something red, white and/or blue each year and especially since living here in Oz. We celebrate the 4th (which is still the 3rd in the States, of course) and his birthday at the same time + the birthday alone here on the 3rd and the 4th in the States (5th here) so we have a 3 day extravaganza of patriotic goodies and foods. It is VERY strange having this celebration in winter here, but we make up for the low temps in high spirit. :) Fred will be teaching in Darwin in mid-July so he will enjoy these cotton socks especially during the 90F days there. I adapted the Thuja pattern using 68 sts since it is a multiple of 4 sts. Fred normally wears a 72 st sock, but the elastic in this yarn stretches. I used a 2.5mm needle and am reducing it to a 2.25 now at the heel flap and the remainder of the sock.

No comments: