Saturday, November 29, 2008

Just in Time


The Larskpurs Socks of Knit Picks Garnet Heather Palette are done. I finished grafting the toes late this afternoon. Total yardage: approx. 350 yards. It's too bad the "done" picture depended on fluorescent lighting -- the "in process" sock color is more accurate.
This series of three shots tells the tale of my second pair of Larkspurs. It is also made of a Knit Picks yarn, Imagination, in "Damsel", a luscious blend of merino, alpaca and nylon in terrific pinks and purples.

As you can see by the dates in the pictures they were begun in
early November and finished up just before Thanksgiving. These were a hostess gift for Anne, my daughter Karin's mother-in-law. Anne was a wonderful hostess when we visited during the week just prior to Karin's Senior Recital, "The Rabbi's Wake". I kept working on the socks while we were at Anne's house. She kept saying, "I love those colors!"




The colors, at least the purples are well represented in this picture. The pinks just didn't want to show up!
Anne's got smaller feet than I do.
Her socks only took about 300 yards.
I used #2 US bamboo needles. The pattern is one I worked out on my own, some details are in my October posting.





My daughter Grete needed a new winter cap. I was so diligent in getting it made in the first week of November (before Karin's recital) that I missed taking a picture. This cap of Encore DK weight in black, is made using a cable-brim...the pattern is one of Knit Picks' free ones.

The original pattern used worsted weight, so I revised the pattern for DK weight. This took just less than one skein, about 135 yards.
Well, I made the crown of the cap too long, so Grete sent it back to me so I could fix it...which I did this afternoon. That was a nice happenstance...for now you get the chance to see it, sort of. If I do another KAL I should get a better camera!

I'm hoping that tomorrow is a brighter day so I can take a picture or two of the stack of baby hats I made. A missionary (pediatrician in Nepal) visited us the first weekend in November and talked about the need for hats at the hospital where she works. I have a dozen hats, various sizes, that I've made since then with Bernat's Baby Jacquard yarn using Lion Brand's Preemie S0 Soft pattern. Some sizes (most of them) were extrapolated from the original, increasing stitch counts by multiples of 6, and increasing the lengths accordingly. There are no pictures of these hats in progress so I know they won't count, but they are really cute. The yarn makes up well and is so very soft.
My hands haven't been idle and I have more socks on my needles, but they won't get done for this KAL. They will be done for Christmas, though, if my niece ever gets some measurements to me!
Blessings to you all.





2 comments:

adrienne said...

socks are most gorgeous! me like!!!

drlaura said...

nice knits!!
drlaura